Osteoconductive bone grafts must stabilize the site, support a clot and provide space for new bone formation. GUIDOR calc-i-oss granules are openly microporous with pore sizes in the 1 μm to 10 μm range. Highly porous calcium phosphate materials provide increased osteoconductivity and bone formation in comparison with materials without micropores as an open micropore system allows for optimal fluid circulation (1, 2, 3,).
Unlike traditional particulates which are presented in a gritty and brittle form, GUIDOR calc-i-oss is manufactured as stable granules. Granules are easy to handle and allow for a variety of application options such as:
- Mixing with blood
- Mixing with blood preparation (e.g. PRP)
- Mixing with autogenous bone
1. Habibovic P., Sees T. M., van den Doel M. A., van Blitterswijk C. A. and de Groot K.: Osteoinduction by biomaterials – physicochemical and structural influences J Biomed Mater Res A ( 2006 ) 77( 4 ): 747-62.
2. Hing K. A., Annaz B., Saeed S., Revell P. A. and Buckland T.: Microporosity enhances bioactivity of synthetic bone graft substitutes J Mater Sci Mater Med (2005) 16(5): 467-75
3. Habibovic P1, Yuan H, van der Valk CM, Meijer G, van Blitterswijk CA, de Groot K.: 3D microenvironment as essential element for osteoinduction by biomaterials. Biomaterials. 2005 Jun;26(17): 3565-75.